OnCall Service Area
The onCall service area covers a designated area around campus, including Rhode Island, Hasbro, Women and Infants and Miriam hospitals, among other locations.
Like other Brown University Shuttle services, onCall service is available to all Brown University students (including Brown/RISD dual-degree students), faculty and staff members. You will need to show your physical Brown ID when boarding.
OnCall Shuttle Guidelines
Please keep in mind that the onCall Shuttle is meant to provide safe transportation for locations within the greater campus area but outside of the Evening Shuttle route; check the route before booking a ride with onCall. Below are additional guidelines for onCall service usage.
Your Brown ID grants you and one guest access to onCall rides (please note: guests must be at least seven years old and do not require a safety car seat. Guests are not allowed on fixed-route shuttles). You must indicate that you have a guest in your ride request. As the Brown ID holder, you must accompany your guest on the shuttle and your guest must have the same pickup location and destination as you
If you are traveling late at night, please ensure that you can get to your final destination before the onCall service ends. Wait times are generally 10-15 minutes, but this may vary depending on weather conditions, traffic and call volume at a particular time. Please note that there may be increased wait times if the shuttle is busy.
Using the TransLoc App
The preferred way to request an onCall ride is to use the TransLoc mobile app.
Install and set up the TransLoc app
- Download Transloc for iOS or Android.
- When prompted, give the app permission to access your location.
- From the list of shuttle agencies, select BOTH of the following:
- Brown University Shuttle — this is for regular, fixed shuttle routes
- Brown University onCall — this is for requesting an onCall ride
- Log in to the app.
- Select the Settings item on the bottom menu.
- Select Log In.
- Type your Brown email address and Next.
- Log in with Brown single sign-on (SSO).